Site Planning & Facility Layout
Chain Link Fence Manufacturer
Our Process Optimization Team was engaged as a partner and extension to our client’s team to identify process issues and improve material flow of site and entire facility to reduce the headcount, improve material handling efficiencies as well as improve site safety. The team optimized the facility layout to support business growth for the next 5 years with additional production and storage capacity.
- Optimized facility layout and flow to increase capacity and meet future sales growth.
- Redesigned the internal warehouse to optimize storage space and increase pallet storage capacity by 50%.
- Redesigned the 200K+ Sq. Ft. yard to improve storage and material flow, reduce congestion as well as increase safety.
- Improved picking and material handling efficiencies.
- Identified aged (potentially obsolete) materials.
- Worked with the IT system providers to ensure the system supported the new material flow processes.
- 50% improvement on pallet storage
- 30% improvement on manufacturing capacity
- One way traffic flow to improve safety and reduce truck turnaround time
- 20% aged (potentially obsolete) inventory identified
- 15% reduction on picking time
Facility Layout Optimization
Logistics / Supply Chain Management Company – Redford, MI
A Logistics / Supply chain management company had a problem and turned to Design Systems, Inc. for help. They needed assistance with creating an optimized facility that included optimal storage locations based on daily usage and delivery frequencies and also maintain their current manpower counts. They also needed help with determining areas of congestion and seeking opportunities for LEAN processes to increase throughput and minimize operator walk time in the facility.
Our team took a phase based approach that was planned out and agreed upon before arriving onsite. The objective was to create a baseline assessment of current dock and storage capacity levels and verify manpower requirements. Using the data provided by the customer, the DSI team was able to create the baseline requirements and a PFEP to drive the future state improvements for efficiency. Phase two took the findings from phase one and worked with the customer to develop the future state layout that optimized floor space and the business units footprint while increasing throughput without increasing manpower.
- 85% utilization efficiency
- 31% reduction in travel distance
- No manpower impact