The adage, “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail”, has proven itself all too well repeatedly, in the implementation of manufacturing capital projects. All projects require planning, whether they are small weekend change over projects or large multi-million dollar new plant construction projects. DSI’s scheduling team, led by a Project Management Professional, can provide you the tools and services to successfully manage your next project.
New Assembly Plant Paint Shop Construction and Installation
- Develop a condensed, reliable, executable and controllable installation plan
- Establish advanced project summary and risk reports
- Control costs in a centralized system
- Provide for change control
- Provide for a clear understanding of expectations for all team members
- Provide for forecasting capability
Customer wanted to improve the current system of program management by obtaining better control of the project plan, execution, change control and invoice validation, while maintaining a clear understanding of all team members’ expectations. Design Systems provided the Program Management manpower and systems to achieve the customer’s goals.
“Bottom Line” Results
- Detailed work plan in place four months before installation allowed contractors and partners to schedule shop fabrication, field crews and materials.
- Schedule development used a process that required the installation strategy and plan to be thought out in detail.
- Forecasts, invoices, progress reports, and summaries were available automatically on a regular basis.
- Exception, deviation and change control mechanisms provided complete communications and risk lists for special consideration.
- Project launched on-time and within budget with good results.
Integrate New Product Process into Existing Plant
Blue Diamond Corporation
- Integrate new product into existing plant with existing product, with minimum impact to existing operations.
- Establish facility impact to line with detailed cost and timing.
- Determine labor impact for new volumes and new product with existing product.
- Establish throughput analysis on critical path operations.
- Recommend improvements to achieve new plant goals.
Introduce new Joint Venture product into an existing truck plant in Mexico without disruption to existing operations, while increasing plant capacity for new requirements.
“Bottom Line” Results
- Introduced new model at new volumes as planned.
- New Product Introduction with minimal scheduled downtime.
- Quality indicators higher than similar product produced at other facility.
DSI was later awarded project to pre-plan next product to be introduced into plant.
Stamping Plant Material Handling for Overseas Part Shipment
- Develop methods to allow direct shipment of stamped parts to an overseas plant
- Develop layout changes needed for implementation
- Determine production and material handling labor requirements
- Develop implementation approach and schedule
- Simulate material handling operations to verify recommended methods and layout changes
Current operations required a U.S. stamping plant to send all parts for overseas shipment to a third party to “repack” parts for shipment. The project studied current operations, identified packaging, method and operational improvements to allow direct overseas shipment of required parts.
“Bottom Line” Results
- Created a detailed plant layout with optimized material flows.
- Verified recommendations with material handling simulation.
- Eliminated “repack” operations saving $1 million per year.
- Developed detailed implementation plan and schedule.
Plan, prepare and execute a successful new product launch.
Introduce new product into an existing truck plant in USA. Incorporate new process, equipment and layout requirements according to schedule. Launch new product from start of Prototyping through Volume Build.
- Facilitate process requirements development.
- Identify all key product launch personnel.
- Establish readiness criteria.
- Establish a check and balance mechanism to track and report progress and issues resolution.
- Facilitate issues ownership and countermeasure development.
- Validate launch readiness.
- Facilitate continuous process improvement throughout the planning and execution process.
- Involves all key players early in the planning stages.
- Successful new product launch on schedule.
- Production Acceleration objectives met.
- All cost objectives met.
- Manpower efficiency objectives met.
Design Systems Provided the Broadest Spectrum of Engineering and Management Support for AM General’s H2 Program.
Our Participation Focused on Four Key Areas:
General Assembly Engineering
- Develop Process Flow Configuration and General Assembly Layout
- Develop assembly processes in partnership with GM product designers, using “fast-track” Simultaneous Engineering techniques
- Develop and maintain “Manufacturing Integration Wall Process” for communicating design and process information between team members
- Train group leaders in Knowledge Transfer of Assembly Processes
- Develop equipment bid packages
- Review/evaluate vendor proposals
- Provide comprehensive project management for equipment design, build, test, install and debug
Plant-Wide Electrical/Controls Coordination
- Generate controls specification for Body, Paint and General Assembly
- Standardize electrical/controls components where applicable
- Work with overall system architecture design to ensure Interface with Information Systems, and with all shops
- Develop material handling requirements for material storage, equipment, and personnel for body and GA shops
- Develop on-site logistics traffic flow plan
- Develop lineside material display strategy
- Develop General Assembly Shop Dynamic Simulation
- Develop dynamic simulations for material handling commodity studies in Body and GA Shops