Stamping Plant Material Handling for Overseas Part Shipment
- Develop methods to allow direct shipment of stamped parts to an overseas plant
- Develop layout changes needed for implementation
- Determine production and material handling labor requirements
- Develop implementation approach and schedule
- Simulate material handling operations to verify recommended methods and layout changes
Current operations required a U.S. stamping plant to send all parts for overseas shipment to a third party to “repack” parts for shipment. The project studied current operations, identified packaging, method and operational improvements to allow direct overseas shipment of required parts.
“Bottom Line” Results
- Created a detailed plant layout with optimized material flows.
- Verified recommendations with material handling simulation.
- Eliminated “repack” operations saving $1 million per year.
- Developed detailed implementation plan and schedule.